Thursday, November 24, 2016

Today's Happiness Practice - Alternatives

Today I am going to contemplate finding alternatives.

If you're like me, you have a long list (either in your head or in various notebooks, physical and electronic) of things you really want to get done.

You also have a knowledge that time is limited.

You also have developed a routine that desires & requires specific activities during specific parts of your day. IE - wake up. Ease into the day with reading. Get the brain going with video games. Stretch.

And if you're like me, you're still trying to balance all you want to have done with all you enjoy doing. Because yes, I love playing my video games, but it does NO'T bring me happiness to look up and realize it's been an hour and I still haven't DONE anything.

Today I realized I have legitimate alternatives. 

Instead of playing video games in the morning, I could do the financial stuff. It has the same affect - getting the brain moving, stretching it slowly, playing with my computer. And doing the household admin stuff does require standing and bending and filing.

And instead of reading in the morning, I can write. Or I can read the stuff I have written. I would really like to get the latest book published... it is ready I think, except for the cover. And reading my work inspires other writing.

And I think perhaps if I do these things, if I do "work" in the morning, instead of recreational activities, it'll spark the desire to do more work. And I'll get moving more easily, flowing into the next productive thing because I already feel righteous about accomplishing something.

So, today I am going to seriously think about my alternatives. Perhaps do some replay. And set stuff up so tomorrow, I can change my morning routine into something that feels worth getting out of bed for.

I hope you have a great day!
-Lila

No comments:

Post a Comment