Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Today's Happiness Practice - Am I respecting Today?

Today I am going to respect today.

I realized I have not been doing that. I have been treating "today" as a rehearsal.
      "When I get a real job, I'll need to get up really early. So I should practice for that."
      "When I have money coming in, I'm going to want to have hours set aside for writing. I should practice for that."
     "When I am living here, or doing that, or have this title, then I want my morning to be like this and my afternoons to be like that and I should practice for that."

But today I do have a real job. Two or three, in fact, writing being one of them. "Those who succeed, put in the work." I also have bookkeeping work. And Happiness work. And house work. And self care work. And Threshold Choir work.

And I want to connect and do and give and receive from that work today. Not tomorrow, or next month, or some nebulous "when I" time in the future. Today. I have all of today!

Which means treating today, and the work I have the opportunity to practice today, as real. Give today, and myself today, and the work I can do today, the same respect I would give a desk job.

Every time it snows, I am grateful that my practice allows me to be home.
Every time I have anxiety, I am grateful that my practice allows me to be home.
Every time I sit down and actually write something, I feel so connected and grateful.

So today I am going to respect that. Today is not practice for when I have work outside the home. Today is practice for today! How am I going to feel productive and accomplished today? Each action, each breath, I am going to respect myself, my energy level, and the needs of today.

And today I am going to remember that the word Practice simply means I don't have to "GET IT RIGHT" by some outside arbitrary value of right. Practice means I get to try things and see how they feel, how they work today. And in my world, that tends to be a bit less structured than in the corporate world.

And I am going to respect that.

Today, I am going to respect today. I am going to put my skills into practice for TODAY. I am going to live today.

Tomorrow will be soon enough to practice tomorrow.

I hope you have a great TODAY.

-Lila

No comments:

Post a Comment