Saturday, April 23, 2016

If you're like me... your brain is an AWESOME thing.

If you're like me, a job search is about more than a large enough salary, and do I have the right skills?.

If you're like me, one of the most frustrating parts of searching for a job is not the interviewing and applying process, it's the journey you go through and the attitude you start to give yourself.

You come across an open position that is intriguing. You like the description - it involves things you know, and things you don't. You redo your resume to reflect your strengths and you apply.

If you're like me, you then spend hours thinking about it, enthusing about it, imagining yourself doing that work, what you can learn, what you would behave like. What you would wear. How you would feel when you tell friends and family that this was "what I do". How your schedule would juggle, could juggle. Driving in the snow for it. Making it your life.

And then "The position has already been filled." And you are devastated, because you had resigned yourself to some aspects and rejoiced in others.

So you find a new position in a new field, and you become enamored of a new thing. And you start a new life. Cosmetics, banking, libraries, coaching, writing, metaphysical, accounting, human resources... You name it, you've probably tried it on in your head.

And if you're like me, you've started to become really annoyed with yourself.

What am I, wishy-washy? Do I have no convictions? No real desires? Where is the truth? Where is MY truth? What do I want? Can't I just make up my mind?!!!!

And the answer, if you're like me, is, we are making up our minds.

Applying for a position puts out an interest, a connection. It allows us to open up to the possibilities of the field.

Because if you're like me, you know yourself pretty well (whether you admit it or not.) So you know how you feel about driving "over there" in the middle of blizzard, or wearing "that" uniform, or communicating with "those kind" of clients. And so the daydream, the mental "When I'm a bartender, I'll be doing this right now" is a way of figuring out if would bring happiness.

As frustrating as it feels to feel like we're making no progress, we are actually living those careers without having to put years of our life into them.

So, if you're like me, you're going to keep trying. You're going to listen to what your daydreams tell you about the daily grind of the Nursery Manager, and the education needs of the Credit Union CEO. You're going to accept the long view and the short view accomplishments of each possibility.

And, if you're like me, you're going to believe that you and the Universe are doing what you need to do to be ready when the possibility becomes a reality.

Because when the daydream is manifested, it's going to be the best one.

I hope you have a great day!

-Lila

No comments:

Post a Comment