Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Today's Happiness Practice - A Civil Tongue

Today I am going to practice the habit of a civil tongue.

With all the shouting going on in all the various forms of media, it is so tempting to jump up onto my soapbox of perception and add my voice to the din. "hear me! My opinion matters!"

And it's true. My opinion matters just as much as and just as little as every other person's on this planet.

As a writer and a witness, I do feel called to express that opinion - to perhaps advocate for or represent those who are so tired of the din we just want to go back to our quiet lives and hope the world doesn't implode. To make sure that the soft, tired, still trying and still believing and undispruptive voice is represented.

But I want to be able to reread my posts and feel proud, feel that I modeled my values of accepting everyone's point of view, everyone's fear, everyone's need, as valuable and equal. I want to express the core of the quiet, believing individuals. I want to speak, and be heard, without using the tools that incite the fear and despair I am hoping to heal.

So I am going to practice and practice, and write and rewrite. And it may never see the light of the computer day - in fact, I actually hope it won't. I hope that by the time I have it worked through properly (say a week?) the world will be more full of quiet voices and less full of the fear, the despair, the brains driven mad by a need to express and only finding one violent outlet.

I hope that by the time I have a well written civil post, it will be passe. Oh, I so hope.

But I am going to keep practicing. Because I am changing the world and I am starting with me.

I hope you have a great day!

-Lila

No comments:

Post a Comment