Friday, November 5, 2021

Try to Remember, kindly November

 

November is often a time of looking back. Not only because we are fondly remembering the warmer days and resisting the coming of the snow with all our imagination (oh, is that just me? Must just be me.) But because this is the time many start preparing for Christmas – which means Christmas cards and New Year’s newsletters, plans for parties, and, of course, decorating. Many of us have to get through all the year’s accumulated treasures in order to find the seasonal decorations. (Unless you're like my sister, who has everything in it’s place. I am a little envious.) 

So memories fly in November, some to be retold, some to be mourned, and all to mark that another set of days has passed beyond us.

Happiness is also about memories. Not only the ones that make me smile, but the ones that help me realize what I have accomplished, made it through, learned and experienced. 

I used to feel that I hadn't "done anything" with my life. That I hadn't made a name for myself. But one day, as part of my journey to figure out what I REALLY wanted to do, I sat down and wrote up a resume of everything I had experience in or with.

It took a long time. 

I realize that while I might not be a typical scholar, and I’m definitely not the master of any particular trade, I have tried a lot of things and done a lot of things and been a lot of places. I could snooze on a year of Novembers just remembering all the amazing people in my life and the time we spent together.

And the things I have around me constantly bring a smile or a connection because of the memories. Which in turn help me feel mature and well able. And loved.

Blessed November, thank you for providing a space in time to turn inward and remember.

(Now, if I could just figure out how to hibernate through the snowy bits and still get my work done...)




No comments:

Post a Comment